Monday, November 20, 2006

Blond Characters

Someone just commented on the fact that my books have a lot of blond main characters. I guess this is true. Samantha in All's Fair in Love, War, and High School, Cami in Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Free Throws, Jessica in Fame, Glory, and Other Things on My To Do List, and although it's not done being written yet--Chelsea in Revenge of the Cheerleaders--all have blond hair.

It's not that I have anything for or against blonds. True, I married one and now (despite what my biology teacher told me about dominant genes) four out of my five children are blond.

When I'm out with them I sort of feel like Midge, Barbie and Ken's token brunette friend.

But my family doesn't have anything to do with why I write blond characters. It's a habit I first picked up when I started writing. I was afraid my old high school friends would read my books, shake their heads at my main character and say, "It's really Janette. And we still remember all of those stupid things she said and did."

See this way I've disguised all my main characters as blonds so people won't recognize me. Now when they read my stories (assuming any of them ever have or will read my stories) They'll all think, "That sure is an amusing character. It can't possibly be Janette though, because Janette's a brunette."

Writing blond characters is like being incognito.

4 comments:

Mads said...

Ha-ha, well, now you have exposed your secret to the world!!!! It's funny that you said you married a blond and all your children are blonds too. My mom is a brunette, and she married a blond, all all 4 of her children are blond. I love blond characters. They are so awesome. :o)

Anonymous said...

I have to be honest, most of my characters are brunette and for probably the same reason. I need to hide me behind their hair color.

Janette Rallison said...

That means on some cosmic level you're writing about me and I'm writing about you . . .

Annette Lyon said...

Oooh. Now that's deep.

What does it say about my last book where I agreed to change the hair color of my main character from blonde to dark brown because they liked a certain painting with a brunette for the cover? It's a gorgeous color, but I can't help but think Maddie is angry with me for dying her hair at the last minute.